Bed bug problems can get out of hand if left untreated. Call us now for proven bed bug treatments before its too late.
In Australia, bedbugs are most commonly found in budget accommodation where there is a turnover of tourists, especially backpackers. They are transported with the peoples luggage and clothing but not on the person. They may also be found in a building if they are bought in infested second hand furniture.
Many people believe that there is an upsurge in their numbers. This may be due to:
- More travel by people likely to carry the
- Less insecticidal treatment in bedrooms
- Lack of identification of symptoms by accommodation management, allowing numbers to balloon before treatment
- A lack of understanding of required treatment by Pest Managers
- Bedbugs pass through an egg and five nymphal stages to become an adult.
- Nymphs can survive a couple of months, adults more than a year without a blood meal.
Bedbugs feed for only 3-5 minutes in the hours prior to dawn and return to their harborage. Their presence can be detected by the bites, dots of blood appear on the sheets, a sickly sweet odour and inspection of the potential harborages, looking for dried blood deposit and cracks in the bed, bed head, beside furniture and mattress.
Some people react to the bite of bedbugs. Before the bedbug sucks blood, it injects saliva, containing an anticoagulant, into the host. The irritancy is caused by the body’s reaction to the saliva.
Treatment & Control
All harborages must be located, treated and eliminated. It is the implementation that is difficult and may need your assistance. We locate all potential harborages within 2-3m of the bed. A harborage is any crack that you can slide the corner of a piece of paper into – because bedbugs are paper thin.
- Bed Linen – Needs to be laundered
- Mattress – Wrap in black plastic and place in hot sun
- Bed head – Screw off the wall, treat behind, replace and seal edges
- Furniture – take apart, treat, reassemble, seal gaps
- Wall coverings – check for cracks in wall paper Curtains and hangings
- Skirting – treat and seal
- Flooring – if timber tongue and groove, eliminate cracks
Items such as bed heads, should be removed if possible because bedbugs are gregarious( Many live together) and the crack between the wall and the bed head may be the entrance to a large void and many bedbugs. Kevin Joyce Pest Management has special nozzles to treat into cracks where it is not possible to expose the void inside.
Remove any cane furnishings. These should be placed in the sun or fumigated. Otherwise they should be replaced for three months. It is not possible to treat these thoroughly with liquid or dust due to the countless cracks and voids at the ties.
Premises such as backpackers hostels should be inspected regularly for signs of infestation to avoid the costs and inconvenience associated with complaints of bedbug attacks.